Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Week 7: Holy ground and calling (1): called to a journey

Icon by Andrei Rublev, 15th Century
‘Trinity’ or ‘The Hospitality of Abraham’


You can LISTEN to this week's readings and reflections here.


Genesis 12:1-5a

12 Now the Lord said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. Abram took his wife Sarai and his brother’s son Lot, and all the possessions that they had gathered, and the persons whom they had acquired in Haran; and they set forth to go to the land of Canaan.


Genesis 18:1-15

18 The Lord appeared to Abraham by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the entrance of his tent in the heat of the day. He looked up and saw three men standing near him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent entrance to meet them, and bowed down to the ground. He said, “My lord, if I find favour with you, do not pass by your servant. Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree. Let me bring a little bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on—since you have come to your servant.” So they said, “Do as you have said.” And Abraham hastened into the tent to Sarah, and said, “Make ready quickly three measures of choice flour, knead it, and make cakes.” Abraham ran to the herd, and took a calf, tender and good, and gave it to the servant, who hastened to prepare it. Then he took curds and milk and the calf that he had prepared, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree while they ate.

They said to him, “Where is your wife Sarah?” And he said, “There, in the tent.” 10 Then one said, “I will surely return to you in due season, and your wife Sarah shall have a son.” And Sarah was listening at the tent entrance behind him. 11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in age; it had ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women. 12 So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, “After I have grown old, and my husband is old, shall I have pleasure?” 13 The Lord said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh, and say, ‘Shall I indeed bear a child, now that I am old?’ 14 Is anything too wonderful for the Lord? At the set time I will return to you, in due season, and Sarah shall have a son.” 15 But Sarah denied, saying, “I did not laugh”; for she was afraid. He said, “Oh yes, you did laugh.”

A ‘cutting’ of tree wisdom (Genny Tunbridge)

The oaks of Mamre mentioned in Genesis were probably Palestinian oaks (Quercus calliprinos). These oaks are generally somewhat smaller than their English cousins (Quercus robur), growing only up to about 18 metres instead of up to 40. But ancient Hebrew tradition suggests that Mamre was the site of an unusually large tree, or grove of trees, which was regarded as a holy place even before the time of Abraham.

Oak trees have been seen as venerable or sacred in many cultures and religions, including ancient British druids and early Germanic and Slavic tribes. This is partly no doubt because their size and broad, spreading shape make them a highly visible and very suitable gathering place. Within the Hebrew and Christian traditions too, especially before temples and church buildings were built, a large, spreading tree was a natural place to meet, shelter, rest, share hospitality and pray.

Other characteristics of oaks encourage people to treat them as holy ground. They are long-lived: oaks typically spend 300 years growing, 300 resting and 300 gradually declining – some live to over 1000. They are most fruitful at 80-120 years when many other trees are at the end of their life.  And they are host to a huge variety of other living things: 2300 different birds, mosses, fungi, invertebrates, lichens and mammals are listed in a database of species supported by oaks in the UK.[1]

Maybe Abraham and Sarah learned about patience, late flourishing in maturity, and generous hospitality from the oaks at Mamre.

Introduction to the theme (Al Barrett)

Over the past six weeks, as we’ve begun our ‘Trees of Life’ journey together, we’ve been thinking about how we’re ‘growing’: spiritually, communally, missionally, evangelistically, and with the fruit of the Kingdom. Hopefully we’ve been able to recognise all kinds of ways in which God has been helping us to grow through these challenging times. We’ve also begun to get a sense of how the different kinds of growing are connected together: our roots, trunk, branches, leaves and fruit all depend on each other for life, growth and health. And we’ve also been reminded that this ‘growing’ isn’t just about us as individuals, or just about us as a church community – although both of those are important – but about our connectedness within our wider neighbourhoods, and the wider world.

This week we’re going to shift our focus a bit. We’re going to catch our first proper glimpse of the ‘Big Story’ that is told through the pages of the Bible, at the beginning of God’s journey with the people of Israel – the beginning, in fact, of the people of Israel themselves. Abraham and Sarah (who begin life as ‘Abram and Sarai’ – name changes are often important in bible stories) are the ancestors of the people who will come to know themselves as ‘God’s people’. And yet, at the beginning of the story, this seems highly unlikely. We’re told (in Genesis chapter 11, verse 30) that ‘Sarai was barren’ – unable, so the story goes, to have children. So when God says ‘Go – leave home’ to 75-year-old Abram, and promises to make of him ‘a great nation’, through whom all the peoples of the world will be blessed, it’s difficult for Abram and Sarai to work out, practically, how that’s going to happen. It’s no more believable when we meet them again, in chapter 18, pausing on their journey under the oak trees in a place called Mamre. No wonder Sarah laughs!

You might recognise the picture this week. It’s one we’ve explored together in church on several occasions, and there’s a large version of it in the living room of the Old Rectory. It’s often seen as an image of God as Trinity – Father/Creator, Son/Jesus and Holy Spirit. But it’s got another name too: ‘The Hospitality of Abraham’. It tells the story of God (in the three ‘men’) coming to visit Abraham and Sarah, at their camp by the oaks of Mamre. Can you see the tree in the middle of the picture, and Abraham and Sarah’s house on the left-hand side at the back? It tells of an encounter with some strangers, over a meal, and some strange and wonderful promises – things that we struggle to imagine, that turn out to be possible with God.

When we talk about ‘vocations’, our imagination is often limited to certain kinds of ‘special jobs’: being a vicar, for example! ‘Vocations’ are just for some people, we think, and are a once-in-a-lifetime call and response. But ‘vocation’ just means ‘calling’. And if God is always going on ahead of us (as the women followers of Jesus were told at the empty tomb), God is always calling us to take a next step on our journey: not often to a ‘new job’ (although that does happen sometimes!), and much more often to be in this particular situation, in this particular way. It’s significant, as I’ve already hinted, that Abram and Sarai are given new and subtly different names, as their journey with God unfolds. As they take each step along the way in response to God’s call, they are learning, slowly, more about what it means to be who God intends them to be – in the place where they find themselves.

How might God be paying each of us a visit at the moment, I wonder? In what strangers, in what ordinary or extraordinary places, might we encounter God – as Creator, as Jesus, as Spirit? And what might we be sensing God calling us to? What kinds of ‘leaving behind’ might that God be asking of us? And what strange and wonderful things might lie ahead on our journeys, if we dare to respond, in courage and trust?

Reflection (Revd Calvert Prntis)

Calvert is Director of Ordinands & Vocations Development for Church of England - Birmingham


In 1999 I completed my curacy period and the thought of what lied waiting ahead in the year 2000 was immense. I felt I learnt my first profound lesson in how God calls us to a journey when I moved on to my first post as a vicar. It was a relatively small church, aptly called ‘Community Church’. After a couple of years, I discovered as many people who were joining the church a good percentage were also leaving for good reasons such as for employment, university or training. We came to that time in the service again when a young family were out at the front as they were moving on. When they shared, the woman told us that as they were coming to Britain, her mother said to her, ‘make sure you find a good church and put down roots’. ‘We did what my mother said’ shared Jo, ‘We found a good church, but you have given us wings’. It was then the penny dropped for me; we were not meant to be a huge all dazzling church where people stayed for many years. Our calling was one of being called to a journey with others, equip them and allow them to move to what God is calling and preparing the next thing for them.


The theme of the Tree of Life is a profound one. It speaks of being rooted and being productive as a result of having such strong foundations. Leaves are so visible, and gardeners tell me that you can tell the health or condition of a tree by its leaves.


It was in hope that Abraham set out from where he lived to journey to unknown places with God. It was not carefully calculation in anyway but a deep hope in God.  I think Abrahams faith must have been like a tree planted with the roots going very deep which enabled him to move in the breeze of God’s voice. Of course, Abram did not know for certain that God would take him somewhere where God would make of him a new nation. Just as a newly dating couple has no idea where the relationship will go, Abraham sets out in hope. Nothing more. Just hope. One author said, ‘I guess, sometimes, there is not much more that we can do either. We can just hope that God has not fallen asleep; we can just hope that God will deliver us from evil; we can just hope that God will give us something to trust; we can that Jesus’ death and resurrection means new life for us also; when all else has failed, at the bottom of life we still have the gift of hope. And sometimes, hope is enough. When we stare out at the hills, we imagine that God will come and deliver us in some unexpected way. But, until we see God crest the hill, we lift our eyes to the hills and hope. Maybe, this sort of hope is actually what faith is all about’.


I am struck with the clarity of the readings in that God appears to be it seems very clear, firstly the command to ‘Go’ and then to the precise place. Some people hear God very clearly directing them to a particular place or task and some do not find it so easy to hear God. I have often thought that the greatest vocation advisor is God, who always finds the appropriate way to speak to people and knows and listens to our heart’s desires.  To ‘Go’ can be very hard to commit to, however our readings point to the depth of blessing that is found in responding to God’s call whatever it might be and wherever it may lead us. There is much vulnerability in following God. But there is the promise of being blessed and we ourselves will in turn be a blessing because of going into the unknown with God.


It sounds like an abrupt and uncomfortable command of departure given to Abram by God. Still today many leave their country of birth not because of desire but out of real desperation to save their own lives and the lives of their families. This journey is in the hope that they can live the life that God intended them to live and this for them has meant uprooting and journeying in faith and trust in God and others.


Abram was obedient to God’s. God’s plan is often a better one than ours. I am also struck that in this journey we see God’s call to Abram and also us, that Gods call to journey with him does not disqualify us because of experience, lack of experience, skill, gender, ethnicity or age. Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. This venture at this age must have been empowering as well as scary but Abraham digs deep into his faith in God.


I can think of several times in my life I can recall when I sensed God in powerful ways. Of course, the fact is that God is always near. Wherever God meets us is holy ground. It’s just at times we may lose sight of him. I am always struck how God brings people into our life at different phases of our life as we try and follow God’s call. As Abraham was sitting his day changed dramatically as he sees three strangers coming towards him and is very receptive towards them. This fantastic hospitality that Abraham gives to the strangers is outstanding. It emphasizes I believe how God might want us to journey with God and others.


On hearing what God intended of Sarah, she laughs. Nervous laughter will always be with us as we are continually surprised by what and how God calls us to be and to do.


Sarah’s laughter is not at God but because of what God has said. She may have thought what to do with this God who keeps pushing her to consider new possibilities.  God asks the question of Sarah, Abraham, and of us: Do you think there is anything I cannot do?” It’s a question we all might want to keep asking, do you think there is anything God cannot do?” How we live our lives of faith reveals our answer to Gods question. And as we consider the question, a little nervous laughter might leak out! In the story, Sarahs laughter shows the human side of things, which is met by the God who appears in the present of the three strangers.


There is a reminder here that God is discovered in real and intimate ways, especially through each other.  It is clear that God desires a real and intimate relationship with us.


Through these stories in Genesis we are reminded how challenging being faithful to God is and yet it is God’s faithfulness to us that spurs us on.

5th Gospel (Gloria Smith)

I have found that life is pretty much like a journey and for some one of my age it’s quite a long journey and hence a long story so I’m only going to talk about the last couple of years.

Most of you know I was a teacher for getting on for 30 years. I absolutely loved teaching and felt it was more than a job, I saw it as a calling. However, although I really enjoyed teaching, during the last few years I felt there was something else that was calling me, although it was difficult to articulate exactly what. It came to a head when I was taking part in our Spiritual Companions 1-to-1 meetings when we were encouraged to think about our gifts, passions and what we could offer. I had already decided to give up being Churchwarden as I wanted to explore what or who was calling me. It was suggested to me that it might be to ordination and I found myself shocked, surprised and yet with a feeling of it not being a total impossibility.

The upshot was that I eventually went on a period of discernment. (I say ‘eventually’ because shortly after the initial discernment Steve, as many of you know, had a serious heart attack and everything was put on hold. I was then too old or so I was told and only with the help of Al and Sally was I allowed to continue). I was questioned lots about my faith and had to articulate what I thought my calling was. Saying it out loud was interesting as it didn’t sound wrong.

I planned to retire at the end of the Summer Term 2018 but prior to that went to a selection panel for training to be ordained and I got through. I started my training at Queens as an ordinand. That was just another step on my journey, but what a step it was! It challenged many things about myself and my faith and it felt as if I was being given the space to really grow, deepening my understanding of my faith and my relationship with God. I don’t just mean it was college - I like to share and so I shared ideas from college with people at church and had lots of discussions and found I became more confident and able to articulate my beliefs.

Then came a bombshell when I found a lump and had to have chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I thought it would be an end to this calling but college and the diocese were happy for me to complete what I needed to do to be ordained.

The last year has been an interesting one but one in which my faith in God has continued to grow. I don’t believe my illness was God punishing me for past things, or testing my faith but rather I felt Jesus as a loving presence through it all, so why would he do any of those bad things. My illness just happened, but my faith and the support and love of my family and friends has got me through this without a doubt. It would be easy to think does God really want me to do this as there have been these barriers put in the way. I don’t believe they were barriers put there by God or anyone else, they just happened like the cancer and through them I have been able to see clearer and grow closer to God.

Over the past few weeks of the season based around trees I have realised the fundamental necessity of relationships. Looking back that is what has sustained and supported me, a relationship not only with God, but relationships with family and friends all of which have nourished me and allowed me to flourish and for that I am thankful. Now I am starting  a new phase of my journey of faith and life and who knows where it will lead, but God has travelled with me on my journey thus far, so I will continue to trust and have faith in that loving presence forever beside me.  

Reflections on the last 6 weeks (Muriel Francis)

Muriel has been writing brief reflections over these first weeks of ‘Trees of Life’, on what she has heard God saying to her, through the readings and reflections. She has agreed to share them here. If you were to write your own one sentence summaries, what would they say?

Week 1:

Make the Lord my hope and confidence to be strong and sure like the tree planted along the river bank

Week 2:

Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong

Week 3:

When you are connected to the Father through Jesus you are connected to your life source like a branch sustained in the vine

Week 4:

No matter how small our faith is it can grow to accomplish great things

Week 5:

Where love flowers we produce healing leaves, [bringing] health and strength wherever love goes

Week 6:

We want the fruit of the spirit to grow in us, we must know his love and want the Spirit to live in us

Questions for reflection / discussion

As I read / listened to the readings and reflections for this week…

·         what did I notice, or what particularly stood out for me?

 


·         what did they make me wonder, or what questions am I pondering?

 


·         what have they helped me realise?

 


·         is there anything I want to do or change in the light of this week's topic?

 


On this week’s theme – Holy ground and calling

·         When in my life have I experienced God journeying with me?


·         When in my life have I felt God calling me to something new?


·         When in my life have I had to trust God, even if it’s been hard to ‘believe’?


·         What new beginning, or what ‘leaving behind’, might God be calling me to now? Who could I talk to about these questions?


Any other reflections…

 

‘Prayer for the waiting time’ by Nicola Slee

Give me the resolution to say ‘No’ to the good
so that I will be ready to give my ‘Yes’ to the better.

Give me the courage to keep living in the open-endedness of the future
without foreclosing the mysterious work of your Spirit
     in my haste or fear.

Give me the persistence to stay in the wilderness of unknowing
until I am ready to receive your call.

Give me the strength to keep still and waiting
when all about me is pushing towards
movement and activity and choice.

Give me the acceptance to live these days
     in uneventfulness, simplicity and hiddenness,
without craving excitement, distraction or change.

Give me the grace to live in the emptiness of not doing
without the rewards of achievement, fulfilment or success.

Give me the wisdom to discriminate between
     my own impatience to move forward
and your Spirit’s deep stirring of my spirit
     when the time is right to move.

Give me the faith to trust in your obscurity,
the obedience to stay faithful to your mystery,
the courage to keep tryst with your inscrutability.

 

from Nicola Slee, Praying Like a Woman (London: SPCK, 2004)

Activities / conversation-starters with young (and not-so-young!) people

  • Go for an Awareness Walk. Before you set out, ask God to draw your attention to whatever God wants you to become aware of. As you walk, notice what your attention is caught by. You might want to photograph what you notice (or pick it up, if it is something suitable, like a leaf or a stone).  Spend some time with the things you notice, paying attention to what God might be drawing your attention to through them.

  • Create your own ‘pilgrimage route’ around your garden or a local outdoor space (or inside your home). Choose particular places to stop and pray or think about particular concerns, and mark them in some way (with chalk, or a rock or arrangement of sticks etc). Invite your family or neighbours to try out your pilgrimage route. 

  • Think about the people in your life who show you something about God. You might like to look through photos to remind you. Thank God for each person as you see their picture. Remember the times you have spent with them, and the ways they have helped you to know God.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 30: Jesus - Calling

Baptism of Jesus , by Ally Barrett Baptism of Jesus,  b y Dave Zelenka      Jesus the Liberator  (source unknown) Mark 1: 1-28 1  The beginn...